November 19, 2012
by Emily Hsieh (S.F.)
San Francisco facialist Sarah Becker has mastered the art of indulgence. The pampering begins the minute you enter her impeccably decorated studio, where a spread of organic treats awaits, accompanied by lace-trimmed linen napkins and handmade ceramic dishes. When it’s facial time, you cozy up under a soft down-filled comforter while Becker melts away all your troubles (and clogged pores) with a fully customized blend of all-natural products and cutting-edge technology (like LED light therapy and microdermabrasion). And the soothing playlist in the background—with tracks from bands like Portishead, Mazzy Star and The xx—makes the experience all the more relaxing. You’ll walk away feeling lighter, radiant and refreshed—guaranteed.
October 2, 2012
Heads up! Time is running out to enter for a chance to win a $1,500 shopping spree and a year’s worth of Birchbox beauty products. Click here for the full scoop.
Image Credit: Birchbox
And since we couldn’t pass up the opportunity to rack the Birchbox ladies’ brains about all things beauty, here are their top five tips for a seamless transition from summer to fall:
1. Dramatic Manis: “Ditch the neutrals of summer and switch to statement-making polishes. Not sure what the trend is? Take a gander at our Color Club collection, directly inspired by the fall runway.”
2. Matte’s Where It’s At: “From lips to eyes, here’s how to go matte without looking flat.”
3. Bold Brows: “Full-figured arches are big for fall. If you’re not sure what to do with yours, try a soup-to-nuts kit like Benefit’s Brow Zings.”
4. Sleek Hair: “Low-maintenance styles are back in for fall (thank goodness). But to get smooth strands, you’ll need to rely on your hair dryer more than ever. Keep hair damage free with a heat-protecting spray like this one from Nexxus.”
August 30, 2012
by Brittany Weinstein (LA)
I’m very particular when it comes to my nails (to say the least). And lately, those high standards have meant a more environmentally conscious approach to nail care—an approach that Jenna Hipp, the beauty industry’s foremost “green” manicurist, definitely abides by. In fact, Jenna recently released a (totally genius) line of polishes with eco-friendly brand RGB called HIPPxRGB that’s like foundation and blush for nails: four nude hues and several glossy tints that help nails look happier and healthier. Below, she shares some of her nail wisdom.
5 HIPP TIPS
1. Mismatch your fingers and toes: “One of my favorite color combinations is nude fingernails and a matte navy polish on toes: it’s chic, slick and classic. Or try a fun color like bright neon orange on toes and a neutral tone on fingers (it gives the illusion of being super tan!).”
2. Keep it green: “The more attention we can bring to toxic chemicals in beauty products, the better. (I switched over to all-green products after experiencing nosebleeds, headaches and dizziness!) What you can do is know your ingredients: Don’t just trust a label that claims to be organic or green. (Safecosmetics.org is a good place to start).
3. Banish yellow nails: “Yellowing is very common and can come from something as minor as not using a base coat (since polish can stain). An at-home remedy I like to use is to mix baking soda with lemon juice, scrub it on with a toothbrush, then dip nails in hydrogen peroxide diluted with water.”
4. Prevent dullness: “The best way to prevent your color from dulling is to use a UV topcoat over your manicure. If you don’t have one, try a metallic or glitter polish instead: It’ll reflect light and make a week-old manicure look brand new.”
5. Moisturize from the inside out: “Healthy, moisturized hands and cuticles make the best canvas for nails. If you notice you have extra-dry or chapped hands, (besides getting your daily eight glasses of water) try incorporating fish oil and vitamin E into your daily regimen.”
July 31, 2012
by Kari Molvar (Brooklyn)
Before and after using my newfound favorite hair powder.
I recently made an a-MAZ-ing discovery that’s revolutionizing my life and I feel compelled to share. It’s a volumizing liquid powder by Bamboo that’s made for girls who want a tousled, matte look without exerting any effort (me!). All you have to do is rub it between your palms (which turns it into a magic potion), then gently rub into your roots for volume. It’s like teasing your hair but without ever touching a comb. Plus, it’s completely weightless with no residue or powdery feel. I’m obsessed.
July 18, 2012
by Sam Turner (Brooklyn)
Confession: My bathroom cabinet is stuffed with beauty products. So basically I really have to like something before I agree to make room for it. The latest thing to gain entry? Korres Cinnamon & Natural Clay Mask. For oily skin with imperfections, it’s the perfect at-home treatment if you don’t have time for a facial. Spread it on clean dry skin, leave it on for 10 minutes, then rinse. It cools your skin and removes all excess oil. Your skin will feel cleaner and look brighter instantly. Plus, it makes an amazing gift.
June 28, 2012
by Brittany Weinstein (LA)
If someone asks, “What’s your beauty secret?” it means you must be doing something right, right? So let’s just assume (and secretly hope) I’ve just been asked. Well, first, thank you. And second, it’s argan oil.
It works wonders for hydrating those pesky dry ends that make your hair look like it’s begging for a trim. I use it once a week before bed (preferably the night before I change my sheets since we’re talking water-rolling-off-your-hair-in-beads oily). Thankfully, it washes right out with one shampoo and leaves no oily residue. Second perk: This stuff works great on your skin too—it’s super-moisturizing without leaving you suited up for a Slip ’N Slide. Enjoy!
June 27, 2012
What isn’t so obvious? They’re wearing shimmery lip gloss—courtesy of our friends at Benefit—to match their Madewell shades. (Wait, did you know you could win a trip to Benefit’s San Francisco headquarters, a $1,000 Madewell shopping spree, a beauty makeover and lots more? Well, you could! Enter here.)
Happy National Sunglasses Day!
June 19, 2012
Well, you and a friend could win one, complete with a $1,000 Madewell shopping spree, a Benefit Cosmetics beauty makeover and more. And get this: you can enter daily for a chance to win the Grand Prize trip.
For all the details and to enter, click here.
June 13, 2012
by Brittany Weinstein (LA)
It’s official: I have finally boarded the “go green” beauty bandwagon. Though there are some old-school products I simply will not part with (La Mer eye cream is the best ever), I’ve slowly been replacing the old with newer, eco-friendlier versions. This week I used up the last of a not-so-green facial cleanser and replaced it with one from Alicia Silverstone’s natural—and naturally vegan—skin-care line for Juice Beauty. And—drum roll, please—it seems Alicia isn’t clueless when it comes to greening it up. Chock-full of organic ingredients like aloe, white tea leaf and lemon peel, this chamomile-scented cleanser smells as good as it feels. My towel is makeup free after I dry off (translation: it works), my skin is so fresh and clean and I am one step closer to a chemical-free existence.
June 4, 2012
by Emily Hsieh (S.F.)
OPI’s Red adds a flirty, feminine spin to this pair of trusty Madewell gladiators I’ve been rocking for several summers.
Craving a departure from my standard pinkish-nude nail polish, I’ve been on the hunt for a punchy red to celebrate the arrival of summer. The winner? Red by OPI. Just the right balance of cherry and fuchsia, it’s the perfect combination of bright/happy/playful/glamorous.